Monday, July 6, 2015

Sugarhouse Homes


I was in the Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake recently. I always love driving by the home my mother lived and worked in as a housegirl after she graduated from High School. It is such a beautiful house. I found mother's name on the census when she lived here. It listed the houses on the street with their value as around $4-6000 while this house had a value listed as $12,000. This was no small sum in 1930. I love the pale yellow color with the contrasting white, the arched windows and the beautiful columns (I should remember if these are Ionic or Doric, but I don't). It must have seemed very grand to my mother--it seems grand to me!




There are other interesting homes in the Sugarhouse area. Here are a few I found.











You can tell the bungalow style was popular. Many had an early American look. But all are charming. And I loved seeing the American flag flying in front of so many of them--but it is that time of year.


This one's for sale. Maybe you could be a part of Sugarhouse area!

I also have my favorite shops there. There is the Old Dutch Store where we get our stroopwaffles and chocolate letters for Sinterklaas Day in December.


There is the little Backyard Birds shop next door that carries birdhouses and other garden delights.


And best of all (at least my grandson thinks so) there is Granite Bakery where we often walk to buy doughnuts.